Our attorneys have earned a trusted reputation for protecting the rights of employees and employers throughout Pennsylvania.
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. sexual harassment
  4.  → How can you report sexual harassment in the workplace?

How can you report sexual harassment in the workplace?

On Behalf of | Nov 4, 2020 | sexual harassment |

Sexual harassment is one of the most upsetting things that women in Pennsylvania can experience in the workplace. To make matters worse, sexual harassment is grossly under-reported. A recent study showed that over 70% of women who were sexually harassed didn’t report the incident.

The study also showed that out of the women who didn’t report the harassment, 40% of them said they didn’t want to be labeled a “troublemaker.” However, reporting harassment isn’t causing trouble: It’s simply making the workplace safer for you and your co-workers. Here’s how to report harassment in the workplace.

How can you report sexual harassment in the workplace?

If you’ve experienced sexual harassment, look up your employee handbook and see if your company has a policy that prohibits harassment. You can also look up federal laws against sexual harassment if your company doesn’t have an official policy.

Once you’ve done that, you should make a written document about the incident and your plans to report it. Talk to your superior or HR officer about the incident. If nothing happens, you should follow up on the incident through email so that you have written documentation. If you’ve done all this and your employer still refuses to take action, file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. You may also hire an attorney to help you pursue the case in court.

How may an attorney help your sexual harassment case?

An attorney may help you seek justice against your employer. Your attorney might represent you if you’ve experienced sexual harassment or if your employer retaliated against you for filing a complaint. Forms of retaliation can include wrongful termination and creating a hostile work environment. Whatever the case, your attorney may help you press charges and seek compensation.